In the past when I've made strawberry champagne cupcakes, I've made a champagne cupcake with a strawberry icing.... so this time I did the reverse! I started with a strawberry cupcake and added the champagne buttercream.
I really liked the strawberry cupcakes. They were very moist and full of strawberry flavor. I added a little extra strawberry puree and I totally think that added to the strong flavor and made them incredibly moist.
For the icing, I made a champagne frosting. I chose to make it with the Sofia Copolla champagne for the reason that it comes in little individual servings and so therefore wouldn't have to drink an entire bottle of champagne afterwards. Well. I wish i had just gone for the bottle of champagne. The champagne was REALLY sweet. I think next time I would go for a bottle that was a lot drier cause the icing was very sweet.
I garnished with heart shaped sprinkles (thanks Jeanette) and a strawberry. I had originally planned on making a chocolate drizzle for the top and to dip the strawberries in.... well because i was rushing to finish before book club.... it didn't happen. It was a sloppy, chunky mess. I was really disappointed as I think that would have help cut the sweetness of the icing.
Overall these were great cupcakes and I definitely see myself making them again when i need to celebrate an engagement... or valentines... or need an excuse to drink a bottle of champagne :)
Strawberry Champagne cupcakes
Makes 15 cupcakes
- 1 cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/2 cup of puree,set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended.
- Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended.
- Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
- 1-1/4 sticks butter (10 Tbsp)
- 3 Tbsp Crisco
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- about 1/2- 3/4 cup champagne (or more to taste)
- strawberries for garnish
- beat sugar and crisco in an electric mixer until light and fluffy and combined
- Add in sugar one cup at a time.
- add in the champagne 1/4 cup at a time. You should add the champagne until you reach the desired consistency and taste. If you end up adding too much add in more powdered sugar, one tablespoon at a time.
- Ice your cupcakes as you wish and garnish with strawberry and sprinkles :)
Cupcakes adapted from Sprinkle's Strawberry CupcakesIf you would like to make chocolate garnish there is a recipe here