|In Times Square :)|
Since this is Valentine's Day week, it is supposed to be all about love. And I know what my boyfriend loves is: Cheesecake. So this week I decided to surprise him by making snickers cheesecake cupcakes. Unfortunately, he came home during the process so it wasn't as surprising, but at least I tried!
Also this weekend we went to New York city to see the awesome Mary Poppins musical. New York is known for their cheesecake, so i was hoping to do something to commemorate that trip. I was hoping these cheesecakes would be just as supercalifragilisticexpialidocious as the weekend was (had to throw my MP reference in there!)
I saw a recipe for twix cheesecake cupcakes, and thought "I could really put anything in these, and they would work". I think the recipe itself is VERY adaptable. You can really take any type of candy and mix it in. And the possibilities are endless when you think of what you could put in the oreo crumble at the bottom. I think that it would be great with Peanut Butter oreos and reeses.
Besides adaptable, they were SUPER easy. The hardest part for me was getting my food processor not to spit oreo pieces all over the kitchen. I also was impatient waiting for the cream cheese to soften so I could start making the acutal filling. And chopping the snickers was annoying. But it was honestly easy :)
I don't particularly like cheesecake (or snickers), but I was pleased with how they turned out. You definitely need to make them sit over night in the fridge because when the bf snuck one for breakfast (hey it has cream cheese and the snickers have protein in the nuts!) it stuck to the wrapper and was not quite ready. Later in the day it came off the wrapper smoothly.
My only complaint is I thought the bottom oreo layer was too thick. I adjusted the values in the recipe because of this. I think the focus should be on the flavor of the cheesecake and not on the oreos! But overall they were good and I would definitely make them again if anyone ever requested cheesecakes!
|Stupid blurry camera phone|
Snickers Cheesecake Cupcake
Makes about 16 -18
- 1/2 package Oreos (20 Oreos)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 24 bite size snickers, chopped into 4ths
- Preheat the oven to 275
- For the crust of the cupcakes, crush the oreos in a food processor until they are in a fine crumb.
- Stir in the melted butter and sugar.
- Take about 1/2 to 3/4 Tablespoon of the mixture and press it into each cupcake liner in a 12 cup muffin tray. Fill about 16, but you may have extra crumbs. If you have extra "batter' make more :)
- For the cheesecake batter, cream the cream cheese in a stand mixer for 3-5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the vanilla and mix
- Add in the eggs and stir on medium low until the eggs have been incorporated.
- Stir in the sour cream and remove from stand mixer
- Using a spatula, add in the snickers (that have been chopped into small pieces)
- Scoop (using an ice cream scoop) batter into each of the cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Once they have cooled, place the cupcakes in the refrigerator overnight until they have set.