Anyway, what I liked about the recipe is that it wasn't simply boxed cake with lemonade. There were some additional ingredients that made me think "maybe it will be better than a regular boxed cupcake". The flavor was good and it got my "lemon" point across. But the texture was definitely that of a boxed cake mix. Which is fine... it just felt "light". I guess I'm used to the density of "real" cupcakes, so it threw me off. But the flavor was good so I really can't complain. And unless I put a big sign on it, I doubt that anyone would know the difference. But I did, so it bugged me!
I did love the cream cheese icing. Its definitely one of my favorite recipes and it was nice to see it complement another cupcake. I decorated them with lemon head candies. When I bought them, I didn't realize they were hard. I wish I had gotten something that was a little chewier since I know it must have been tough to bite through those. Oh well.
Overall, I was pleased with the way these came out and if I am ever in the market for an easy lemon cake again, I would definitely make these.
|I think they are kinda cute!|
Savannah Smiles (Lemon) Cupcakes
- 1 6oz can of frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 8oz carton of sour cream
- 3 oz of cream cheese
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Remove 2 Tbsp of the lemonade concentrate and set aside.
- Mix the rest of the lemonade concentrate with the rest of the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat on low until moistened and all ingredients are combined
- Beat on high for an additional 3 minutes or until there are no more lumps
- Spoon the batter into prepared pans. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to completely cool before icing
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp milk (or more to desired consistency)
- Beat cream cheese and butter on high until combined
- Add in vanilla extract
- Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. You may taste as you go and adjust the powdered sugar as needed (remember you're making them to go with lemon cupcakes!)
- Add in milk to get to desired consistency
- Pipe or spread onto cupcakes and garnish with lemon candies.
Icing adapted from The Neelys