|This is 1 serving!|
This is actually one of my newer cookbooks, that I've been ridiculously excited about seeing how it had a whole chapter on food to make in a dutch oven. I reccently bought a PURPLE dutch oven from Kohl's and have been super excited about it. Granted, I have only used it a few times and ti takes up a large amount of cabinet space. Still I'm quite excited about it and thought that with the new cookbook I would use it all the time!
So here's my experience with the new cookbook and my recipe for something in a casserole dish :) Yea didn't quite use the dutch oven, but I will!
Anyway, I was looking through the book and came across this recipe and said to the boyfriend "Hey does this look good". And the response was "well I like beef, cheese and noodles so it has to be good". It definitely was! I was really pleased with how hearty it was and how much I enjoyed it. It would be a great meal to make on a Sunday and then have lunch for the rest of the week. I also couldn't get over how big the portions were. They were huge!! I like recipes where you get to eat good food and even while watching you calories can have a big portion. This recipe will definitely be made again. And eventually I'll make something in my dutch oven with it :)
Cheese Beef and Noodle Casserole
Makes 6 servings
7 weight watchers points plus/serving
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4lb extra lean ground beef
4 cups cooked whole wheat penne pasta
2 cups low cal marinara sauce (I used Ragu light and healthy)
about 2 Tbsp parsley
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterrey Jack cheese (I think I used Colby Jack)
- Preheat oven to 375
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat
- Add in onion, garlic and pepper flakes and cook until onion is softened
- Add beef and cook until its browned.
- Stir penne, marinara sauce, 1/2 cup of cheese and the parsley into the beef mixture and spread evenly throughout a 2 quart casserole dish
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and transfer into the oven and bake until cheese is melted and filling is bubbly around the edge, about 20 minutes