The first question that I am always asked when people find out I'm engaged is "so how did it happen"? Well that goes directly with my cupcake theme. On mother's day, we were having brunch with both our mothers and his sister and her family. Our brunch spot was Dogfish Head Alehouse in Chantilly, which is not only the site of many of my cupcake deliveries, but also our first date. When we walked in, all of our family was sitting there waiting. I started handing out flowers and cards to the mothers and mike goes "Hey look, they have some cool new beers". You can see what the beer board really said in the picture to the right :) What followed was a lot of laughter (I was shocked!), a lot of tears (i was so happy!) and quite a few drinks to calm the nerves.
Anyway, since we got engaged during brunch (btw I can't tell you the number of times people have asked me about Dogfish Brunch and what was on the menu... i could not tell you one thing!), I knew I wanted to make brunch related cupcakes. And what is my favorite brunch cocktail?? Mimosas! So that is where my inspiration came from! I googled an orange cupcake recipe and already had a champagne frosting recipe I loved, so it was perfect. I made a significant substitution in the fact I put Grand Marnier instead of orange extract. And I wish I had thought to add a triple sec glaze to them (since what really makes a good mimosa is a splash of triple sec) but I didn't! I also used my favorite champagne frosting, but was able to get it less sweet so it was the perfect complement to the cupcakes. I loved how dense and flavorful the cupcake was and the icing ended up being perfect. It was definitely everyone's favorite cupcake of the party!
I will definitely be keeping these in my "brunch cupcake" rotation.... since the only thing better than alcohol at brunch is a cupcake at brunch... ok and I guess a proposal :)
|Notice the purple wrapper... a wedding color!|
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsps Grand Marnier (or 1/2 tsp of orange extract)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Place the sugar and orange zest into the bowl of your mixer and blend until moist and fragrant.
- Add in butter and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and Grand Marnier
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack before frosting
- 1-1/4 sticks butter (10 Tbsp)
- 3 Tbsp Crisco
- 4- 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- about 1/2- 3/4 cup champagne (or more to taste)
- Beat sugar and Crisco in an electric mixer until light and fluffy and combined
- Add in sugar one cup at a time.
- Add in the champagne 1/4 cup at a time. You should add the champagne until you reach the desired consistency and taste. If you end up adding too much add in more powdered sugar, one tablespoon at a time.
|Tune in later this week for Part 2 of the brunch cupcakes!|
Orange Cupcakes from My Baking Addiction