I will admit that there are a few breakfast items I'm just not a fan of. First, French Toast. I used to love it, but after far too many bad experiences with it, I'm just not a fan (unless its covered in captain crunch of course). I also don't really like any form of breakfast pork products. Sausage I can handle (particularly turkey sausage or if its mixed in with gravy) but bacon or ham or scrapple grosses me out. So I'm always on the lookout for a pork free breakfast alternative.
When i came across this recipe, I was initially drawn to the refried beans. I really like refried beans and thought that there would be nothing better than putting some refried beans in my breakfast! But the major problem with this recipe? I dont like corn tortillas. So I decided that rather than making an egg mug like the recipe suggested, I'd make a tortilla!
I used my favorite low carb, fat free tortillas (2P+/ tortilla) and then built it from there! I made a whole can of refried beans and kept it in the fridge all week so I could use it every day. I added sauteed onions directly to the refried beans to make it easier to prepare. Once I did that initial prep, the daily preparation time is less than five minutes. And while somewhat messy, they are amazingly delicious! I wanted to be able to grab and go, but with the low carb/fat tortillas, it makes it really hard to do that. They just don't maintain the structure that regular tortillas do.
Egg & Bean Breakfast Wrap
For the refried beans
makes about 2 cups
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can of Fat Free refried beans
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- In a small pot, saute the onions until they are soft.
- And in the refried beans and taco seasoning and simmer until heated through.
- Use immediately or put in a aritight container and store in refrigerator until you are ready to use them.
For the Breakfast Wrap
Makes 1 wrap
- 1 Wrap (like La Tortilla or other 2 pt wrap)
- 1/4 cup refried beans (see above)
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
- 1 slice 2% american cheese (or other reduced fat cheese. Or 1/8 cup shredded cheese)
- 3 Tbsp salsa
- 1 Tsp fat free sour cream (optional)--will increase points value to 6
- Spray a microwave safe bowl or coffee mug with nonstick spray.
- Pour the egg beaters into the mug/cup and cook for 2 minutes in the microwave. If they are still runny after two minutes, cook for additional time in 30 second intervals until done.
- Spread refried beans onto the tortilla and cook in microwave for 30 seconds to "heat up"
- Add eggs to the tortilla and then cheese. Microwave for an additional 30 seconds to melt cheese
- Spread on salsa and sour cream and roll up! Enjoy :)